Interview With Morgan Flood

Photograph of American figure skater Morgan Flood

With a pewter medal in the Novice Ladies event at last year's U.S. National Championships, Morgan Flood proved she was a skater to watch. In doing so, Morgan was selected for the International Selection Pool for this season. The young Texan, fresh off a strong 4th place finish in the junior ladies event at this year's Broadmoor Open in Colorado Springs, is one of America's up and coming skaters and took the time to answer some questions about her accomplishments, goals for the future, new programs and more:

Q: When did you start skating and what first drew you to the sport?

A: I started skating at age 5 when I was invited to a friend’s birthday party. I completely fell in love with the sport.

Q: What is your proudest accomplishment to date?
\
A: Each season I have set several goals. I have qualified for the U.S. Nationals each year since Juvenile and medalled twice. Last season I really believed I was well prepared going into the U.S. Championship but my short program performance was poor. However, I was able to fight back in the free skate and make the podium placing 4th overall winning the Pewter medal. So although my Short Program was a disappointment I was proud to make the come back to receive the Novice Pewter medal.

Q: What are your goals for the upcoming season and going forward and what improvements do you most want to focus on in your skating?

A: I am skating Junior this season. Most of the feedback from last season centered on my skating skills and second marks so this will be a primary focus. I want to be a very balanced skater with elements and skating skills. In addition, I am working on several new jump combinations this season including a triple flip/triple toe combo.

Q: Are you working on new programs for the upcoming season and who are you working with for choreography?

A: Yes, we are putting together new programs for this season. After reviewing the last season we knew we needed to improve my skating skills and overall second marks. This season I am working with Scott Brown on my choreography. He is really great to work with and I really like what he has put together so far. We have selected a more elegant music style this year and I am really enjoying it. The music we selected for the short program "The Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera. For my free skate we are using music from "The Mission" Original Movie Soundtrack.

Q: Of jumping and spinning, which do you prefer and why?

A: I have always preferred jumping over spinning just because I love learning new jumps and the feeling when you finally land a jump you have been working on.

Photograph of American figure skater Morgan Flood

Q: Who are your favorite skaters of all time and how do you think America's skaters will fare in Sochi?

A: My favorite skaters of all time are Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, and Evan Lysacek. Yes, I think that the U.S. will do very well in Sochi.

Q: What is the most played song on your playlist?

A: My most played song on my playlist is Can’t Hold Us by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.

Q: What is your ultimate goal as a skater and how do you hope to achieve it?

A: I am more focused on seasonal goals rather than an ultimate long-term goal. Right now I am focused on being a strong Junior Competitor. I would also like to compete internationally. I was honoured to be selected by U.S. Figure Skating for the International Selection Pool. Although I realize that I will probably not receive an international assignment this season, I am hoping my performance this season as a Junior will allow for the consideration of an assignment.

Q: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

A: Wow, ten years is a long time away for me and it is hard for me to even imagine. However, I can say that I love the sport and I see myself being a part of it one way or another for years to come.

Skate Guard is a blog dedicated to preserving the rich, colourful and fascinating history of figure skating. Over ten years, the blog has featured over a thousand free articles covering all aspects of the sport's history, as well as four compelling in-depth features. To read the latest articles, follow the blog on FacebookTwitterPinterest and YouTube. If you enjoy Skate Guard, please show your support for this archive by ordering a copy of the figure skating reference books "The Almanac of Canadian Figure Skating", "Technical Merit: A History of Figure Skating Jumps" and "A Bibliography of Figure Skating": https://skateguard1.blogspot.com/p/buy-book.html.